Monday, October 18, 2010

"Tunturineule" scarf & cap

I've been trying to figure out, what on earth is Tunturineule in English, I've found very helpful Finnish-English knitting translations from http://www.katajala.net/marjut/neuleet/sanasto.shtml and other sites and found them very helpful in getting started. But this "tunturineule" remains a mystery, if anyone knows what it is in English, tell me!! EDIT: An anonymous reader suggested moss knit rib. Care to comment?

But here's the instructions for this chunky set anyhow:


Yarn: Novita Katri (100g = 160m, 100% acrylic)
Gauge: 14 st = 10cm
Skeins: 0,8 for the hat and roughly 2,2 for the scarf
Needle: 5mm


Scarf: Cast on 35. Knit according to the pattern below until you've reached the desired length. Cast off.





EDIT 11.1.2011:
To clarify the chart: there is 4 stitches on the rib that are repeated plus when knitting the scarf you'll need 1 extra stitch for right edge and 2st for left edge. When knitting the cap leave out the stitches outside the red lines here.


Cap: Cast on 94. Devide on 4 double pointed needle, 23 each. Begin decrease after 13cm. Decrease by 4 on every second row at the end of each needle. When you've reached top of the hat, about 18cm, *knit 2 together* until you have 8 stiches remaining. Cut yarn, leaving a 15cm tail. Draw tail through the last stitches, draw tightly closed, and fasten on inside of cap. Weave in ends.


8 comments:

  1. i think it is called moss knit rib. looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So it would seem, had to google it myself. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting this! I was looking for something simple and interesting and found this through Ravelry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No probs! Happy to be of service!

    ReplyDelete
  5. how do you keep the edges from curling up? i just finished this scarf and the edges curl. i love the pattern though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't have a problem with curling myself, but come to think of it I probably slipped the first st on each row instead of knitting it, don't know if that makes a difference..

    Maybe try blocking the scarf? http://www.purlbee.com/blocking-tutorial/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I was wondering if you know how to count rows for this pattern. Every time I start over I seem to always lose the paper I keep my tally on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I normally just count the rows for about 15 rows when I begin. After that the pattern starts to take shape and you can make out pretty easy the stitches you're supposed to knit or purl on every row. Then all you have to keep track of is alternating knit and purl stitches on the stitches between. (I don't know if this helps but it's all I can come to think of)

    ReplyDelete